Dragonbane is a larp that is unique in many ways. We have wanted to avoid many usual larp costumes solutions. Our instructions for costuming are quite scrict, but we have tried to provide our players with sufficient information, including patterns for the costumes. Some of the garments are more difficult to make than others, but we strive to make the task of a participant as easy as possible. We recommend you go through this section with thought. Patterns and sewing instructions are available as .pdf for downloading and printing here. If you have any questions please write them to the appropriate thread on the forum.
When you are making your Dragonbane costume, please keep the following basics in mind:
- Materials can only have 5% synthetic fibers in them (see Materials). Natural fibres are more comfortable and look better. Most importantly, they are much safer since they don't catch fire as easily as synthetics.
- Do not use machine-knitted materials except in socks
- Reserve time for planning and making your clothing. It might take more time than you think. When you don't have to hurry too much you can get the quality you want without too much stress.
- Keep in mind that you will be spending a whole week in you attire. Make the clothing durable and prepare enough underwear. Only Cinderhillians have the possiblity of doing laundry during the game.
- Before the game, take time to wear your clothing and shoes before as much as possible. Not only will you get accustomed to them but you can also find out if something is uncomfortable and needs changing.
- Make sure that your clothes fit the outdoor life on site. Also remember to bring a repair kit with you.
There are things that you shouldn't include in your costume at all:
- Metal and plastic buckles or fastenings. We have chosen to use straps, cords and in Cinderhillian culture also cord buttons.
- "Classical" fantasy capes, mantles or robes
- Modern bra. Comfortable and above all Valenorian solutions are straps or vests. See the Underwear section for details.
- Any other modern underwear. Mickey Mouse prints are difficult to hide for a week, especially with the communal sleeping arrangements. See Underwear for more info.